Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Freaks and Geeks

1.)What are the groups and what functions do they serve? Are there negative influences from any of the groups (dysfunctions)?  There are two different groups in this show. The freaks and the geeks, as the title might suggest. They both serve as main roles in the episodes. The freaks are your stereotypical bullies. They push the geeks around make them feel belittled. The geeks are also very go with the flow and they follow the rules because they try to avoid trouble.

2.)Who has power in the episode? How or why do they have power? How do they use it? The freaks definitely have the power in this episode. The have the power because they're "stronger" and "cooler". They use their power in negative manners. They try to persuade the other kids to do bad things throughout the episode, like smoking and skipping school.

3.)What are the important symbols in the episode? Note that the symbols might be an object, but also might be an idea, an event or something else. How do the characters act based on the symbols they find important?  The drum set was the biggest symbol in the whole thing. He seemed so ecstatic when he was talking about makeshift drum set and cow bells. He just wanted Lindsay to find her true happiness in the world. I find it ironic that they ditched school after a movie that was talking about their future in professions. 

4.) Can you relate any of these theories to your own life? How can the things you do be interpreted through one of these theories? For example why do you wear what you wear or why are you going to college or why do you stress yourself out to get "good" grades?  I can relate to these things in my own life, yes. I see this in my siblings and through the younger kids in school. I am who I am because I want to be it. I compete against myself, that's for sure. But my role models have also helped me shape myself throughout the years as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment